6/18/2007

Remembering Altantuyaa Shaariibuu

I am the Golden Beam*, from
The land of steppes, come to
The South Seas to Malaysia
called the Mountains of Asia

‘Twas no Shambula as promised
But of evil Gehanna, sent there
By C-4, 1.34 times more powerful
Than C6H2(NO2)3CH3, or TNT

In that shattering blast, in a tick
Golden Beam* I was no more
But thousands shattered shards
Of tears, blood, and deep regrets

Never to see my children again
Where I am I have met Erlig Qan
But I am not yet ready to submit
To his reign until I taste justice

Oh, if only I can quench my thirst
To drink sweet requital, my due
Against unimaginable evil cruelty
Just a wee sip from across the Styx

Will the Heavens sense my sorrow
My wail of uncompromising pain
At the loss of not just my young life
But treasured sight of loved ones

O, Sulde Tngri, Dayicin Tngri and
Gesar Khan, I offer thee, Holy Triad
Votive arca or juniper branches &
Berries, & kuji the sweetest incense

I pray, let they who judge be brave
Resolute and just, and not render
My tormented soul to wander in
Perpetual odyssey, sans retribution

I yearn to return home soon to rest
Among the elm-trees and willows
To hear the larks trill their sweet
Songs over the endless steppes

Please, let me gaze once more at the
White snow cap of Nayramadlin Orgil
Then I'll know I'm home once again
To close my tired eyes as Golden Beam*


* Altantuyaa = Golden Beam

4 comments:

  1. Hmm... could do with a wee bit of tweaking, KT, but on the whole it captures the drama and poignancy of this otherwise morbid and sordid affair. I kept looking for the asterisk after "Golden Beam" to appear at the bottom of the poem, but found no further elucidation.
    Is that what her name means in Mongolian?
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, I had the intention of stating that in the footnote, but somehow omitted that - thanks, will put that in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:06 pm

    Man, great stuff here.

    Salutations!

    Pak Kadok

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great piece,
    Have music for it?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Contributors